Senior Specialist, Health & Safety
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com
Assist the Manager Loss Control in the areas of safety & health claims administration, insurance services and loss control. Recommend, develop and implement appropriate programs and activities that enhance the safety and health of Company employees, as well as minimize the Company’s exposure to loss.
This position can be located either in Alexandria or Prince William.
- Develop and implement (including delivery of) educational training programs and activities that help develop and improve the safety process within the company and to ensure compliance with federal state and local regulations.
- Develop and implement the use of regulatory compliance programs, including investigating new technologies, providing professional review and recommendations for the purchase of tools, materials and equipment that will enhance safety performance throughout the organization.
- Conducts safety audits and inspections to identify hazards and deficiencies that expose the company to loss or failure to comply with regulatory requirements Compile, analyze, and interpret data related to safety training and performance to measure the effectiveness of existing programs.
- Provide assistance and expertise in accident/claim investigation and claims management, when required, and make recommendations to prevent reoccurrences.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Knowledge of Company Risk Management Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations applicable to safety and health field.
- Working knowledge of the various functional areas and their role in the organization, including operating procedures of the Company
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local regulations, as well as a working knowledge of the various functional areas of a water utility, so as to develop and implement appropriate risk management activities associated with departmental goals.
- Demonstrated understanding of a water utility operation, knowledge, of and ability to, integrate regulatory requirements into the training and development of all operating unit employees.
Experience / Education:
- Associate level degree required in a related field, i.e safety/loss control.
- Bachelor’s level degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in safety/loss control in a related industry or municipal operation
- Primarily limited to within Region.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- Must be flexible.
Varies by task; environment does include field work; driving and working outdoors.
If interested in applying, please visit our website at www.amwater.com/careers.
Join American Water. We care about water. It’s what we do.®
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.